Lockology Hair This! Telogen Effluvium – Say What Now?

Lockology Hair This! Telogen Effluvium – Say What Now?

Did you know some hair loss conditions go by the name “effluvium,” which means an outflow. Well, Effluviums generally affect different phases of your hair growth cycle.

Despite the rumor hair follicles on the scalp do not continuously produce hair. They go through a growth stage that can last two or more years before entering a resting stage- before starting to grow a brand new hair fiber again. Usually about 80% to 90% of your hair follicles are growing hair. This is called the anagen phase which leaves 10% to 20% percent of (scalp) hair follicles in a resting phase called telogen which results in no hair production.
Though a poorly researched condition it affects many people. Telogen effluvium is often reported as the second most common type of hair loss seen by dermatologists.

What is the cause —> With no one culprit and little research to pinpoint one, telogen effluvium is seen often after pregnancy, extreme stress, major surgery, drastic weight loss, or vaccinations, crash dieting, physical trauma and while on certain medications.

What to look for —> Hairs that come out with the white bulb at the end are usually something doctors ask for. Women with telogen effluvium usually begin to notice hair loss 6 weeks to 3 months after a stressful event.

Dont panic though, TE is more often than not completely reversible. The hair follicles are not permanently or irreversibly affected but are in more of a resting state than there should normally be. Depending on the root cause, once that is addressed everything should return to normal.

Main Menu